AdobeAIR crossplatform apps:
Qixel HD : Pixel Art Painter
Qixel HD is an iPad app that makes it super-easy for designers, pixel-lovers and retro gamers to make stylised ‘qixel art’ and share their designs by email, Facebook and Twitter.
What can you make with 651 pixels?
Qixel is all about creating minimalist images, retro characters and typography with a limited number of pixels and colour palette. Make art or just use it to chill out - it’s the digital equivalent of popping bubblewrap!
I look forward to see what people do with it. There are some suggestions below to get you started, but it’s your software to play with. I look forward to seeing your artwork on the Facebook Qixel gallery!
Here’s what you can do with Qixel:
- Draw pictures with 4 different pixel types: Squares, Circles, Diamonds and Triangles.
- The canvas background button flips between black or white. This has a very different effect on your qixels.
- Use the darken and lighten buttons to add shade and depth to your art.
- The triangle setting has an extra button: Rotation. Try rotating your triangles 90 degrees to make strange patterns and origami-style art.
- Use Qixel to make quirky typography.
- Write simple messages and greeting cards to send to friends.
- Make cool patterns and abstract backgrounds for websites.
- Create retro game graphics, and then export frames in stages to make animation.
- experiment with colour: great for artists and colour therapy teachers.