Application frameworks are a dime a dozen these days. That’s why SwAG isn’t a framework but rather a toolkit — the Swiss Army Gear toolkit for ActionScript 3, to be exact.
As the name implies, this small-ish library contains useful code that can be employed wherever needed, as needed, without the full weight or presumptuousness of a full-on framework. In other words, it should be useful for you whether you have a project that’s well under way or are just starting out.
Because the library has lots of disparate features, I’ll be dedicating a number of future posts discussing them in detail and providing (hopefully) useful examples. Here is a brief preview:
- Peer-to-peer networking, streaming, data sharing using RTMFP (via swag.network.SwagCloud and swag.network.SwagCloudShare)
- Decoupled or source-optional event broadcasting (via swag.core.SwagDispatcher)
- Extended MovieClip playback control (via swag.core.instances.SwagMovieClip)
- SQLite database functionality for Adobe AIR (via swag.core.instances.SQLiteDatabase)
- Extended date/time manipulation and comparison functionality (via swag.core.instances.SwagDate and swag.core.instances.SwagTime)
- Extensive data analysis/conversion functionality (via swag.core.SwagDataTools)
- ZIP data access and extraction (via swag.core.instances.SwagZip)
- Extended runtime introspection (via swag.core.SwagSystem)
- Extended HTTP/HTTPS data loading functionality (via swag.core.instances.SwagLoader)